The Early Access to kindergarten or first grade priority choice application window for the 2020-21 school year is now CLOSED as Friday, January 31, 2020. Please click here for more information.
Advanced Academic & Gifted Services (AAGS)
Welcome to the Advanced Academic & Gifted Services home page.
Lynn Saltzgaver, AAGS Director
Kelly Teran, Gifted Specialist/K-12 GT Coordinator
Traci Haake, Administrative Assistant
What is Gifted & Talented?
In Adams 12 Five Star Schools, “Gifted & Talented" means those persons between the ages of four and twenty-one whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. Children under five who are gifted may also be provided with early childhood special educational services. Gifted students include gifted students with disabilities (i.e. twice-exceptional "2e") and students with exceptional abilities or potential from all socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural populations. Gifted students are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas of giftedness:
- General or Specific Intellectual Ability
- Specific Academic Aptitude
- Creative or Productive Thinking
- Leadership Abilities
- Specific Talent Aptitude
To assure that gifted children grow socially, emotionally, and academically to become well-adjusted contributing members of society. --CAGT
All Gifted students will accomplish challenging post-secondary work/force goals and become productive, creative citizens capable of succeeding in their area of strength. --CDE
Ensure gifted student growth and achievement through systems of support, programming and advocacy. --CDE
Our mission is to serve the academic needs of gifted and advanced learners, while supporting their unique social-emotional needs in a nurturing environment. We are dedicated to providing instruction that challenges and motivates gifted and talented (GT) learners to achieve at an optimal level. Programming is based on gifted best practices and is designed to help students navigate their growth and develop their full potential.
Core Beliefs About GT
- Giftedness is a shared responsibility
- Giftedness presents in a variety of domains
- Giftedness is present in all populations
- Giftedness is evident in multiple ways
- Giftedness presents a need for qualitatively different programming
In order to provide the best possible educational opportunities to gifted children, our district advocates for a variety of gifted best practices. Every school in the Five Star District offers gifted programming services. Hulstrom K-8, our district magnet school for Advanced Academics and Gifted Education, specializes in advanced learning, gifted best practices, and 21st century skills. For further information, please visit our Programming page and for specifics about the GT programming offered at your child's school, contact your school's GT Coordinator.
For More Information
Please explore the pages listed in the sidebar for district information on GT Identification and Assessment, Programming, and Resources.
- Twelve Traits of Giftedness
- Helping Your Gifted Child Succeed (click for Spanish)
- Colorado Department of Education Office of Gifted Education (CDE)
- Adams 12 Gifted & Talented Parent Group (GTPG)
- National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)
- Colorado Association for Gifted & Talented (CAGT)
- Supporting the Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG)
- Social and Emotional Learning Competencies (CASEL)