CDE License & Highly Qualified
All substitute teachers must hold a Colorado Department of Education license (CDE).
- New One-Year Substitute Licenses are no longer accepted.
- Effective 1/1/2013, all new certified substitutes that hold a 3-year substitute license will be required to take two online courses through STEDI.org.
- One course will be required prior to the first assignment.
- The other course will be required to advance to the higher daily substitute rate ($114.00).
This training plan will be enforced for all new substitute teachers, hired after 1/1/2013 that have not completed a teacher preparation program (3-year substitute license).
Substitute Teacher License Renewal Information for Current Employees:
CDE E-License Applications for the One-Year, Three-Year, and Five-Year Substitute Licenses, Initial License, and Professional License are available on the Colorado Department of Education Website:
To check on the status of your license click on the following link:
No Child Left Behind (NCLB)/Highly Qualified (HQ) Information:
- An Endorsement on Colorado license (District Recommended), or
- A passing score on an accepted PLACE/PRAXIS II exam in the desired content area, or
- 24 semester hours from an accredited college and/or university in the desired content area (Qualifying hours to be determined by District)
- English, Reading, Language Arts
- Foreign Language (French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian, Spanish)
- Arts (Visual Arts, Music, Drama)
- Social Studies (Civics, Government, History, Geography, Economics)
- Allow 5-10 days for the review process
- You will receive an email with your results
- If you are highly qualified, your name will be added to the district HQ database and your principal will be notified