Transfers from one school to another are for Adams 12 residents who would like to request to change their current boundary/assigned school during the school year. (Transfers are not for out-of-district residents because the only way they can attend Adams 12 Five Star Schools is through the Choice Program.) There are three different circumstances in which transfers can be considered. They are:
1. Family-initiated transfer request;
2. Administrator-initiated transfer request;
3. A student who has been a victim of a crime of violence, as defined by state law.
The procedure for family-initiated transfer requests follows:
1. A written request must be submitted to the principal of the school in the attendance area where the student resides (boundary school) or the student’s assigned school (if they are attending a school other than their boundary school). This written request will include a transfer application (English, Spanish) as well as a letter from the parent/guardian explaining:
a. Why the transfer request is for the good and just cause based on the unique educational needs of the student or,
b. How the transfer request would meet the unique program or course needs of the student.
2. The boundary/assigned school principal will consider the request to determine whether the request meets the criteria for a transfer request.
3. If the transfer request meets the criteria, the boundary/assigned school principal will then confer with the principal of the requested school, who will make an independent determination based upon the criteria for transfer and space available.
4. If either the boundary/assigned school principal or the requested school principal deny the request, the transfer will be denied.
5. Transfer requests, including the parent’s letter, approved by both principals must be submitted to the Superintendent’s designee for final approval.
6. In general, students whose transfer requests are approved will be admitted to the new school only at the quarter, trimester or semester grading periods at the discretion of the receiving school principal.
7. Transfer requests, if approved, are only valid for one year and parents/guardians must provide their own transportation for the student.
For the most part, transfer requests are not accepted for magnet schools as they have wait lists from the Choice process. However in some cases there may be space available at a magnet for a transfer student.
The procedures for an administrator-initiated transfer and for a student that has been a victim of a crime of violence are handled through specific guidelines in the transfer policy.
To read the Five Star District’s superintendent policy regarding the transfer of students from one school to another, please click here.