District outlines precautionary safety measures
Measures include increased patrols of bus stops and walk areas
Adams 12 Five Star Schools has implemented some additional precautionary safety measures in light of the Jessica Ridgeway case in Jefferson County.
- District Security and Risk Management staff will increase patrols around schools, parks, bus stops and common walking paths.
- Bus drivers and maintenance staff, who travel between sites in vans and trucks, will watch for and report suspicious behavior/activity.
- We will remind students our buses are "safe havens" that they should flag down in event they are fearful for their safety.
- Elementary school office staff will keep calling all emergency contacts in the event of an unexcused student absence until they connect with a responsible adult. Parents and guardians can help school staff account for a child’s whereabouts by promptly calling in sick or absent children to their school. This will reduce the number of calls our schools need to make in accounting for students who don’t show up to class and the parent or guardian has not called them in.
- We will increase the number of staff members present outside our school buildings during dropoff/pickup times.
- In partnership with our families, through ongoing conversations, we will continue to help our students be safer and make smart decisions.