Kindergarten Early Entrance
2014-15 Kindergarten Early Entrance
The District recognizes that some children may benefit academically, socially and/or emotionally from Early Entrance into Kindergarten. Due to the academic demands of accelerating a student into kindergarten, students are screened using a number of nationally recognized assessments to determine whether kindergarten is an appropriate fit for each student applicant. Parents may submit applications from December 1, 2013 through January 31, 2014 for consideration by District staff.
This process was established to meet the needs of highly advanced & gifted children whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs.
Applicants are children who do not meet the kindergarten cut-off date of October 1st, and exhibit advanced academic achievement, consistent attendance, positive attitude toward acceleration, intelligence, and maturity. These students exhibit a need to begin their kindergarten experience early.
Once an application is submitted, the Advanced Academics & Gifted Services Department will call to set up an appointment for screening. The children will spend approximately 3 hours with a team of GT and/or Preschool professionals going through various assessments to gather data on the child. At the conclusion of the screening, the team will set up an individual appointment with the child for IQ testing with a district licensed school psychologist. Because of the intensive nature of testing, a fee will be assessed for this service. Once all testing is concluded, a testing report will be mailed to you.
How to Begin
- Submit Kindergarten Early Entrance application to District 12 Advanced Academics & Gifted Services.
- Complete the parent survey and have the preschool survey completed if appropriate.
- The Advanced Academics & Gifted Services department will call to set up appointment for screening process.
- Submit Accelleration/Grade Skipping Application to District 12 Advanced Academics & Gifted Services.
- Complete the Parent Accelleration/Grade Skipping Survey, and submit to District 12 Advanced Academics & Gifted Services.
Please call Advanced Academics & Gifted Services at 720-972-4272 if you have any questions.